top of page

Acerca de

Deed Poll/ Change of Name Deed

A girl presenting a namecard

A deed poll or a change of name deed is a legal document that proves a change of name. The content is a self-declaration to give up the use of the old name and later use the new name. You can change any part of your name, add or remove names and hyphens, or change spelling.

How to change your name on Hong Kong identity card or passport?

If you would like to change your name on the identity card, you should first prepare the deed poll, then complete the application form (ROP73) and send it by post to the Registration of Persons (Support) Section, 12/F, Immigration Tower, 7 Gloucester Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong with copy of deed poll. You may also submit the application form at any Registration of Persons Office (except Kwun Tong (Temporary) Office), by fax or through the Internet or Immigration Mobile Application. Upon receipt of your application, the Registration of Persons Office will ask you to attend an interview to produce the originals of your supporting documents. If the application is approved, arrangements will be made to replace your identity card at a fee of HK$460.  If the application for change of name on Hong Kong identity card is approved and the new ID has been applied, you may then submit the application to change the name on your HKSAR passport.

How to change the surname of legitimate child?

There is no entry of child's surname on the Hong Kong birth certificate. Only the child's given name will be registered on the birth record and the surname is adopted from father if father's personal information was registered on the child's birth certificate. For changing the surname of a legitimate child, a deed poll showing both the father's and mother's signature and consent are necessary Even if the parents are divorced and sole custody is granted to one father or the mother, the consent of both parents is required to change the surname of a legitimate child.

How to change the surname of illegitimate child?

If the mother wishes to change surname of her illegitimate child  with her own declaration on the illegitimacy, a deed poll showing the mother's signature and consent are necessary. There is no need to obtain consent from the father of the child beforehand provided that there is no court order in effect. 

We provide speedy same-day or immediate deed poll service. The deed poll will be witnessed by our solicitor.

Our service charges:

  • Deed poll: HK$800 

  • Deed poll for change the surname of illegitimate child without father consent:  HK$1,800 

Want to change your name? Talk to Us

We can help you. Start here!

Thanks for submitting!
bottom of page